The SodaStream bottle is a popular, eco-friendly way to enjoy carbonated drinks that don’t go flat. The biggest appeal of these bottles is how long they last.
Everyone is doing their best to cut down on disposable containers, like aluminum soda cans and bottles. SodaStream bottles can eliminate thousands of them over its lifespan!
But, what is the lifespan of a SodaStream bottle? Do the SodaStream bottles really expire? And, if so, why?I’m here to help answer these questions!
Types of SodaStream Bottles
There are two types of SodaStream bottles: glass and plastic. The glass version, with no expiration date, is compatible only with Aqua Fizz SodaStream models. On the other hand, the popular plastic bottles, suitable for all machines, are the focus of our discussion.
Do SodaStream Bottles Really Expire?
Sodastream bottles do not “expire” in the traditional sense. But these bottles are designed with a specific lifespan – about 36 months. The plastic used in SodaStream bottles undergoes wear and tear, particularly from the pressure exerted during the carbonation process. The recommended expiration date for the bottle’s lifespan is printed on your bottle.
Expired bottles? Find replacements here.
Checking The Expiration Date Of Your SodaStream Bottle
The expiration date is conveniently printed on the bottom of the plastic SodaStream bottle. This date serves as a guideline for optimal use and is crucial to ensure a safe and enjoyable soda-making experience.
Why SodaStream Bottles Expire
The reason the bottles have a limited lifespan is that they endure considerable wear and tear. Carbon dioxide gas places the plastic under enormous pressure. This pressure slowly erodes the integrity of the bottle.
To make your SodaStream bottle last as long as possible, follow these tips.
- UV light damages plastic, causing its structure to weaken. Keep your bottle’s exposure to sunlight at a minimum. When not in use store it in a dark place.
- Avoid using harsh sponges and brushes to wash your bottle. These can scratch the plastic. Scratches can harbor bacteria, which will create a foul odor. A long bottle brush with soft bristles is best.
- Avoid scorching water and dishwashers. Lukewarm water only will help increase the bottle’s lifespan.
4 Other Things to Know About SodaStream Bottles
These handy bottles are popular for several reasons. Not only are you drinking delicious carbonated beverages you make yourself, you are cutting back significantly on the amount of garbage you send to landfills. Read on to learn five more interesting facts and tips about your SodaStream bottle.
- No Dishwasher: While cleaning is essential, avoid the dishwasher. High temperatures could compromise the plastic’s structure, significantly shortening the bottle’s lifespan. Opt for a gentle hand wash with dishwashing liquid and a long bottle brush.
- Lifespan of About 36 Months: SodaStream bottles endure wear and tear due to the pressure exerted by carbon dioxide gas during carbonation. To extend their lifespan, minimize exposure to UV light, avoid harsh cleaning tools, and stick to lukewarm water.
- BPA-Free Assurance: The bottles are crafted from BPA-free plastic known as PET. This sturdy material, thicker than typical soda bottles, ensures durability. The cap, designed with a hermetic seal, maintains carbonation for up to two weeks.
- Environmental Friendliness: SodaStream promotes sustainability by using BPA-free plastics that are more rigid and long-lasting. Reusing these bottles is an environmentally friendly alternative to recycling, reducing the overall plastic waste burden.
Recycling Responsibly: The End of the Bottle’s Journey
When the time finally comes to bid farewell to your trusted SodaStream bottle, it’s essential to recycle it responsibly. Most recycling facilities accept PET plastic, the material used in SodaStream bottles. Remove the cap, give it a final rinse, and toss it in the recycling bin or take it to your local recycling center.
Making the soda you want from the convenience of your own kitchen beats a sugary cola drink hands down. Just remember to take care of your bottle. Keep it clean and keep it out of direct sunlight and it will last the average person about three years.
The SodaStream bottles expiration date is printed on the bottle, so you won’t forget.