Ginger ale is by far my favorite classic soda available!
And it turns out that it’s really a simple soda to make yourself. Say hello to easy homemade soda!
How to Make Homemade Ginger Ale
It’s really quite simple. You need two components:
- Ginger Ale syrup
- Carbonated Water
For the carbonated water, I use my SodaStream. Alternatively, you can also buy soda water from the store and mix that with your ginger ale syrup.
Homemade Ginger ale Syrup
Ginger ale syrup is simple to make. What’s the main ingredient in ginger ale? You guessed it! Ginger.
That’s what I love about homemade soda – you know exactly what ingredients you’re filling your soda (and body) with.
You can even make this soda completely organic (assuming you use organic ginger & sugar.)
The recipe is simple. Here it is below:
- 1 cup of freshly peeled and chopped ginger
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of water (divided)
- Peel & chop 1 cup of fresh ginger. It should be finely chopped. If you have a food processor, you can use it with peeled ginger for finer ginger.
- Boil ginger with 1 cup of your water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Let the ginger sit for an extra 15 minutes.
- Make the simple syrup by combining 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring it to a boil. Boil until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- After the ginger and water has sat for 15 minutes, remove the solid bits of ginger by straining it. Take the ginger water and combine it with the simple syrup (sugar water).
- Bottle the syrup.
- When you are ready for your soda, combine a 1/4 cup of the Ginger Ale syrup with 1 cup of carbonated water. you can adjust the amount of syrup you add according to your taste! If you like it sweeter, add more syrup.
And that’s it, folks! Simple Ginger Ale syrup in less than an hour. You can double or triple this ginger ale recipe accordingly. The syrup keeps well as long as it is sealed and refrigerated.
Leave a Reply